Long past those days when Asphalt shingles, clay, slate, or concrete were the only options for homeowners to choose. With the fast-changing world, there are an extraordinary variety of alternatives offering a fresh new look to your property.
In any case, you were not aware of these options available for you, Roofing Roanoke Tx sorted out some of the different types of roofing for you to consider:
- Metal – Available in shingles or vertical panels, metal color-bond roofing is known to last for about 60 years. Metals are best at getting rid of the heavy snow. It as well protects from burning and could resist great winds. The best part is it is exceptionally lightweight and could be installed over existing roofs. Though, the consequences of such materials are that they could get super noisy during rainstorms and might as well be from hail.
- Asphalt Shingles – The most ordinary roofing option, it is expected to be replaced after 20 years. It is comparatively on the low-cost side and is effective in all environmental conditions.
- Clay and Concrete Tiles – These options are the best to endure damage from storms, tornadoes, winds, and even earthquakes. It suits the best in warm and dry climates and might require added support to stand their weight. One of the main consequences of Clay and Concrete Tiles is that it is possible to break when walked on.
- Slate – Slates are known to have a life expectancy of more than 100 years. It could resist fire, is waterproof, and does not get affected by mold and fungus. It is best suitable for areas with wet climates. The major disadvantages of slates are that it could easily get damaged if stepped on, is comparatively heavier compared to other options, and is included on the expensive side.
- Solar Tiles – One of the most desirable options for conservationists, advanced solar tiles or collectors could be integrated seamlessly into your current shingles. It is known to produce up to 1 kilowatt of energy per 100 square feet. One of the benefits of such material is that it could help offset the energy or electricity cost with solar power, yet these are pretty expensive than the traditional solar options.
- Stone-Coated Steel – Stone-coated color-bond roofing is acknowledged to resist damage caused by heavy rains, winds, hail, uplifting and freeze-thaw cycles. The look of interlocking panel pattern often mimics clay slate or shingles. This variation is the most effective and inexpensive choice for windy and wet areas.
- Rubber Slate – Rubber slates look natural and awesome as well. It is recognized to last for around 100 years. Yet, rubber slates are prone to damage through satellite dishes and walking. This too indicates that it might get damaged by hail.
- Built-Up Roofing – Built-up roofing is composed of layers of tar, asphalt, or adhesive topped with aggregate. Gravel and tar, are the finest top decks with heavy foot traffic. Though, it could get quite sticky or gluey during summer and is a bit tough to shovel snow off when is compared to smooth surfaces. Built-up roofs are as well known to last for 20 to 25 years approx.
- Green Roofs – Another environment-friendly option, green roofs are covered with small plants that could bring in an excellent change in the air surrounding you. It can as well reduce water overflow and insulate your home to bring down the heat. However, such variants need additional structural support, soil, water filtration, a vapor barrier, thermal insulation, waterproofing, compost, drainage, and plants. The projected lifespan of green roofs is calculated to be roughly 40 years.
Regardless of the type, roofs need proper maintenance and could get damaged otherwise. Consider getting in touch with experts like Roanoke’s Best Roofing & Repairs LLC and from time to time to maintain your roof and its materials to lessen your cost and increase the lifespan of the roof over your head.